top of page

The Lounge Chair (2009-10)


GLADSTONE DESIGN PRIZE 2010


1:1 PROTOTYPE


I aimed to design a lounge chair that both served its purpose and had a unique and appealing form. After trial and error I came up with an attractive design, designing a product is always the easy part when compared to bringing it to life.


1:5 MOCK-UP MODEL TESTS


To make the two arms/base, thin long strips of Maple wood were cut out. Each strip was then sanded on its edges, and four strips were glued together for each arm. Whilst the glue was still wet, I put the slices over a foam mould of the arms/base I had made using the CAD system. To force the wood to fit the shape of the mould, I put it into a vacuum and let it dry.



Making the back, seat and leg did not demand as much effort. For each, I glued and clamped together three thick pieces of Maple wood. They were then each cut and planed to their specific dimensions.


ORTHOGANOL ELEVATIONS

Connecting all the parts together took some time and effort. As the angles and lengths of the joints I had made had to be inch perfect in order for everything to fit together. The most tedious task of all, sanding took some time, though it was worth it to accomplish the end result.





Comments


bottom of page